Saturday, October 29, 2011
Thursday, October 27, 2011
Wednesday, October 26, 2011
Episode 42: The New Flesh
- First season finale for GCS Reviews.
- Videodrome, with James Woods, Sonja Smits and directed by David Cronenberg
- Porn - now a weapon of Mass Destruction!
- This is a good horror movie, with solid characters, a good story, fine performances and quality special effects.
- Videdrome is pitch perfect depiction of the World of Darkness.
- The movie gets a 20 on a d20 roll.
- All hail the new flesh.
Monday, October 24, 2011
Friday, October 21, 2011
Wednesday, October 19, 2011
Episode 41: Calling on Cthulhu
- It is October and the squid-tree are producing fruit.
- Call of Cthulhu the RPG is 30 years old.
- Something sad happens to the staff of Chaosium at GenCon 2012.
- It is easy to go crazy in this game.
- The book is hard to read, unfortunately.
- Call of Cthulhu gets a 15 on a d20 roll.
Monday, October 17, 2011
Friday, October 14, 2011
Devouring Zombie Level 5 Brute
Medium Natural Animate (Undead) XP 200
Initiative –1 Senses
Senses: Perception +0;
HP HP 40; Bloodied 20
AC 14; Fortitude 13, Reflex 9, Will 10
Speed 5 Darkvision
Immune disease, poison; Resist 10 necrotic; Vulnerable 5 radiant
[Melee] Horrid Bite (Standard) • At Will
Attack: Melee; one creature; +4 vs. AC (+10 vs. AC if the devouring zombie has grabbed the target
1d6 + 3 damage and the targets contracts the zombie disease (refer to the devouring zombie entry in the appendix)
[Melee] Slam (Standard) • At Will
Attack: Melee; one creature; +6 vs. AC
2d6 + 2
[Melee] Zombie Grab (Standard) • At Will
Attack: Melee; one creature; +4 vs. Reflex
the target is grabbed (until escape). Checks made to escape the zombie’s grab take a –5 penalty
Alignment Unaligned Languages —
Str 14 (+3) Dex 6 (–1) Wis 8 (+0)
Con 10 (+1) Int 4 (–3) Cha 3 (–3)
Devouring Zombie Disease (DZD) Level 16 Disease Endurable Stable DC 30, Improve DC 30
Someone who has contracted DZD feels numbness starting at the extremities that works its way in, hot and cold flashes and painful seizures.
The Target is cured. <- Initial Effect: The target suffers a -2 penalty to Dexterity and Speed and loses half their total healing surges. <-> The target suffers a -4 penalty to Dexterity and Speed and loses any remaining healing surges. -. Final State: The target dies and rises as a devouring zombie 2d10 rounds after death.
Devouring Zombie TacticsWhen not engaged in some form of combat devouring zombie wander aimless, stand still long enough for cobwebs to form on them or sometimes fall into sad repetitions of the actions they took in life. The only thing devouring zombies attempt to do in combat is overpower living targets by striking them or grabbing them and eating the target.
Devouring Zombie LoreA character knows the following formation with a successful skill check.
- Dungeoneering DC 18: Devouring zombies are rare and given their contagious nature, they are among the most dangerous.
- Arcana or Religion DC 24: There is often an evil “lynchpin” behind the existence of a growing horde of devouring zombies, such as a devil, larva mage or something similar. Devouring zombies transform into a “standard” zombies upon the destruction of this individual.
Wednesday, October 12, 2011
Episode 40; Made of Gloom
- Shadowfell, Gloomwrought and Beyond Review
- Grumpy is attending a wedding in Barovia
- There probably won't be a 4E Ravenloft
- But this boxed set is good.
- Most of what made Ravenloft appealing is in this boxed set.
- Shadowfell, Gloomwrought and Beyond gets a 20 on a d20 Roll.
- Grampy, Acererak and Baba Yaga take Sergi and Tatyana to Fort Walton Beach for their Honymoon.
- A promo for Self Critical Hits.
Friday, October 07, 2011
“There are lanterns in these halls but they are dark and without fuel. Sounds echo in dusty corridors and the clang of a slamming gate might be from around the corner or from across the complex.”
A set of passages used as a mass grave twist under the city, providing a last resting place for the many of the dead and uncomfortable passage across the city for the bold.
There are no *known* undead dwelling here.
Wednesday, October 05, 2011
Episode 39: Yet Still Even More General Thoughts
- An out of character blog entry at the tail end of the first season.
- The blog started as something to kill time and fill a nitch.
- The blog took almost three months to find the right voice.
- Acererak still amuses me.
- November will be off.
- In December I will return.